Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In which the author finds herself relocated south, bicycle in tow...

I'd like to say that my plenteous bicycling adventures began that beautiful fall day the bike came home, but school of course got busy and gas prices finally descended... An accounting of my senior year, however, would not be complete without a few bicycle memories. Bicycling bonded me with a new acquaintance, as of that year, (the future Martha Stuart) one of the girls on my res life staff who'd also recently bought a pink bike. She remains the only person I know who "owned" her love of pink so seriously and completely, no one could question her delightfully decorated room, pink vanity, phone and all. Her pink bike was complete, outfitted with pink handlebar tassels. We went on a few of our first rides together though the countryside outskirts of town, watching the leaves turn golden red, whizzing through the crisp, fall air. We shared our first "crash" stories in the initial process of adjusting to the balance and speed of riding a bicycle again. In fact, she witnessed my first fall, right in the middle of the Meridian (darn toe clips), and our bikes always "chatted" next to each other on the bike rack. (I have suspicions my little blue bicycle had a little bit of a crush on those pink tassels).

My most poignant memory, came just days before I was heading back to California, a job awaiting me. In an effort to catch a ride before evening darkness fell, another good friend, an avid road bicyclist herself, led me through some of the quieter roads around, some of which I'd never been even after 4 years there. It was a warm evening in May, and I had that strange mixture of nostalgic sadness, contentment and thankfulness for my time in that place, but settled peace in knowing where my new adventures lay ahead...A most beautiful goodbye.

Five days later, leaving behind 4 years of dear friends, professors, life experiences, real coffee, and the rain, I packed up all my belongings (those of which that survived severe culling in order to fit in my car*), my little blue bike, and my dad who had graciously flown up for the drive down with me the same day....California here we come!

On mon bicyclette...



* Interestingly of all the items left behind, the only thing I regretted--my exercise ball!

1 comment:

  1. LittleBlueBicyclette... thanks for sharing your adventures... sad that you had to leave Oregon. Looking forward to reading more... and by the way, my road bike was white.

    ReplyDelete