Monday, May 3, 2010

In which the author has a pleasant ride home...

My commute this morning was uneventful. The flowers were beautiful as usual... The whole way I was hoping to run in to someone I know, which happens from time to time, but never when you expect it, which is the great tragedy of it. The moment you realize that person standing at the bus stop is someone you know and wave, after the instant of recognition they are gone... and the odd mornings when these encounters do occur, though brief, they rank among the highlights of my day.

I worked late, which ended up making for a beautiful ride home. It was that peaceful time when everything tinges pink right before dusk sets in. The air was warm and soft. Only a few cars drove by. As I entered our neighborhood, it had evidence of a place where the hustle and bustle of the frantic working world quieted down and was forgotten for a few moments. People here and there were outside enjoying the post-dinner hour sunshine--doing human things. two friends watched birds or squirrels dancing in the trees (I couldn't see). A young couple holding hands chatted along down the sidewalk. A dad jogged to keep up behind his son on a tricycle and a little ways down the road an older couple were walking together holding hands. A family of three meandered along the road, the little girl gleefully skipping in front of her parents, and as I rounded the corner to my street another fellow worker, who had likewise shared my late shift, was walked wearily briefcase in hand to his doorstep.

I opened my front door and the house was warm from the early summer sunshine, smelling like strawberries...

On mon bicyclette...

No comments:

Post a Comment